Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Sidewalks.

Some of my most vivid memories of growing up were on those sidewalks. Seddon Drive is where those sidewalks still are but I can see them in my mind as I ran with my best friend to my neighbors house to go play. Columbus, Ohio is where I was born and raised for most of my life. It is where my childhood home is and where many of my close friends still live. My family and I moved from Columbus to Cleveland when I was 10 and I had to leave one of the most significant places in my life. The place I'm talking about was not only my home, my neighborhood, my school, friends and family but the place that made me who I am. I can still picture my little room with the light purple walls and tiny closet that I would crawl up to the attic from. The crabapple tree that I had to sketch for a project stood tall in front of the house. The neighbor's house just a few skips away. This place is the main setting for most of my childhood memories and therefore is important to me. It was on those sidewalks outside my house that I first learned to ride a bike. I set up my first lemonade stand right on the curb. My best friend and I did silly things and laughed while playing outside. Undoubtedly this place shaped who I am. This place is forever apart of me. Moving did have positives outcomes which I would not want to change. But one thing that I still miss at my new house are sidewalks.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, the sidewalk. Such an interesting space, too, because it represents a kind of "in between" ness. Not at home but not "out there" in the world. Safe, but distant. Private but public.

    ReplyDelete